Civil War Naval Passed Asst. Surgeon. Gustavus S. Franklin.
Franklin became an Assistant Surgeon in May, 1862; a Passed
Assistant Surgeon October, 1865 and resigned in November,
Name: Gustavus Scott
Death date: Feb 1901
Place of death: Chillicothe, OH
Birth date: 1837
Type of practice: Allopath
States and years of licenses:OH, 1896
Medical school(s): Columbia University College of Physicians
and Surgeons, New York, 1862, (G)
Journal of the American Medical Association Citation:
Dr. Gustavus S. Franklin
1859 Marietta College: Gustavus Scott
Franklin Chllllcothe 0hio, MD at Coll Phys and Surg NY 1862 Asst Surg
USN 1862 Passed Asst Surgeon 1864 resigned 1868 since Physician
Gustavus Scott Franklin, AM, MD.
A man of talent and culture with the greatest capacity for earnest and
diligent labor the late Gustavus Scott Franklin MD was for many years
one of the foremost physicians of Chillicothe where the major part of
his life was spent his birth having occurred in this city November 22
1837 and his death in February 1901. His father William B Franklin
had the family name of Bussard changed in 1831 by the Ohio Legislature
to its present form Franklin He was a son of Daniel Bussard Jr and a
grandson of Daniel Boussard Sr There is a well established tradition
that the paternal grandfather of Daniel Boussard Sr was born in France.
Gustavus Scott Franklin MD, graduated
from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York 1862 at one
time a member of the Ohio State Medical Society and of The American
Medical Association died at his home in Chillicothe Ohio. The Ross
County Medical Society of which he was one of the founders passed
resolutions of regret and sympathy at a special meeting held February 8
records of the Union and Confederate Navies in the War of the Rebellion,
By United States. Naval War Records Office:
Report of Lieutenant Lamson, U. S.
Navy, regarding the abandonment of Western Branch (Hill's Point)
battery. Gustavus S. Franklin is noted as being present.
U. S. S. STEPPING STONES,
(1861) A steamer
purchased by the Union Navy during the early part of the American Civil
War. She was used by the Union Navy first as a dispatch boat, and
also as a gunboat assigned to patrol Confederate waterways.
Assigned Potomac River operations
The ferryboat departed New York City on 21 October, served briefly at
Hampton Roads, Virginia, reached the Washington Navy Yard on 5 November,
and was promptly placed in service as a dispatch boat in the Potomac
Flotilla. These first few weeks of her service typified her fortunes
throughout the Civil War.
Her services were wanted both in the Potomac Flotilla and in the North
Atlantic Blockading Squadron for service along the west coast of the
Chesapeake Bay and on the rivers -- roughly parallel to the Potomac --
which drain Tidewater Virginia. As a result, the ferry was shuttled
between the two commands as ground operations ebbed and flowed over the
Virginia farmlands which separated Washington, D.C., and Virginia.
When assigned to the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron, the ship was
moved from the James, to the York, or to the Rappahannock River as
demanded by the military situation ashore.
Operations on the James River in Virginia
Highlights of Stepping Stones' service were the operations on the James
in July 1862 to help protect General George B. McClellan's beleaguered
army at Harrison's Landing; her rescuing, under heavy fire, of Mount
Washington when that ship had been grounded and disabled near Suffolk,
Virginia; and her participation in a mid-April 1864 Army-Navy expedition
up the Nansemond River.
In May 1864, she became part of a torpedo sweeping (mine sweeping) and
patrol force on the James.
Capturing Confederate blockade runners
On 9 November, she captured two blockade-running sloops, Reliance and
Little Elmer, in Mobjack Bay.
In March 1865, less than a month before Robert E. Lee surrendered,
Stepping Stones was in a naval expedition up Mattox Creek to Colonial
Beach, Virginia, where the Union ships attacked a supply base for
Confederate guerrillas operating on the peninsula between that river and
the Potomac River.
U. S. S. STEPPING STONES, April 21,
SIR: I have to report the following casualties which occurred in the
upper Nansemond flotilla, Lieutenant Lamson commanding, on the 19th
ultimo. They occurred while the Alert and Coeur de Lion were passing a
rebel battery at Hill's Point, near Suffolk, Va.
T. J. Hawkins, pilot, struck in the head by a solid shot from a
12-pounder rifle and killed instantly.
John Jones, landsman, severely wounded in left arm by splinters of
boiler iron, scattered by a 12-pounder rifle shot; arm since amputated
in upper third.
William Ayler, pilot, had his left leg completely amputated at junction
with thigh by a 12-pounder rifle shot; died in thirty minutes
The casualties all occurred in the line of duty.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
G. S. FRANKLIN,
CASE 291.--Seaman George Cook, aged 21 years, an Englishman, was wounded
on February 1, 1864, in an engagement of a gunboat with a battery
supported by sharpshooters, at Smithfield, Virginia. A rifle ball grazed
his right thigh, passed through both testicles and entered the left
thigh, fractured the femur, and passed out at the posterior and outer
portion of the limb. The wounded man was taken to the Naval Hospital, at
Portsmouth, Virginia, not many miles distant, and Surgeons Solomon
Sharp, A. C. Gorgas, John Paul Quinn, and
Assistant Surgeon G. S. Franklin, U.
S. N., held a consultation, at
which it was decided that the femur was extensively shattered, and that
an amputation at the hip joint presented the only chance of saving the
patient's life. On the morning of February 2d, the patient was placed
under the influence of chloroform, the femoral artery was compressed at
the groin, and Surgeon Gorgas, assisted by his colleagues, proceeded to
remove the limb. The operation was performed by transfixing and forming
an anterior flap, disarticulating, and then making a posterior flap by
cutting from within outward. Very little blood was lost; yet the patient
never reacted, but succumbed about two hours after the completion of the
operation. The shattered femur was forwarded by Surgeon Gorgas to the
Army Medical Museum. It is represented in the adjacent wood-cut (FIG.
92). It is a very strong and compact bone. The ball has separated five
large fragments, and has produced fissures extending from above the
level of the trochanter minor a little over four inches down the shaft.