(The following are the personal edited research notes of Michael Echols, the source of which may or may not be completely documented)
A Hernstein surgery set, which belonged to Dr. Jordan' is part of this collection.
Click here to see the detailed display of the set.
Point Lookout CSA Doctors
The Signal Corps in the Confederate States Army Signal Corps, was a much smaller group of officers and men, using similar organizations and techniques as their Union opponents. Although both services had an implicit mission of battlefield observation, intelligence gathering, and artillery fire direction from their elevated signal stations, the Confederate Signal Corps also included an explicit espionage function.
The Confederate Signal Corps perform duties and utilized equipment very similar to their Northern counterparts, with some exceptions. Electric telegraphy was not used in tactical battlefield communications due to shortages of telegraph wire and trained operators. Their aerial telegraphy was performed with similar flags, but with slightly modified codes and movements from the Myer methods. Unlike the Union Signal Corps, however, the Confederate Signal Corps also was chartered to conduct espionage for the South. (Both services provided valuable battlefield intelligence, and sometimes artillery fire direction, from their elevated observation points, but the Confederate corpsmen performed undercover missions behind enemy lines as well.) Acting as the Secret Service of the Confederacy, the corps administered the Secret Line, an information network that ran between Richmond and the North and extended into Canada. It is because of its clandestine nature that much of the work of the Confederate Signal Corps is lost to history. Many of its records were burned in the fall of Richmond and in a subsequent fire at Norris's home, which claimed his personal papers.
Courtesy of Dr. T. Hambrecht: (citation in Wallace, L. A.  3rd Virginia Infantry. 2nd edition, H. E. Howard, Inc., Lynchburg, VA. p.93)
JORDAN, WILLIAM TURNER: born Nov 13, 1835; physician; enl. Ap.21, 1861, at Hargroves Tavern; 2nd Lt., Co F. Resigned, Sept. 17, 1861. Died Mar. 14, 1922. Buried in Cedar Hill Cem. Suffolk.
The 3rd Virginia Volunteer Infantry Regiment was an infantry regiment raised in Virginia for service in the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War. It fought mostly with the Army of Northern Virginia.
The 3rd Virginia was organized at Portsmouth, Virginia, in 1856 with volunteer companies attached to the 7th Regiment Virginia Militia. It entered Confederate service during July, 1861. Its members were from Portsmouth and Petersburg, and the counties of Nansemond, Dinwiddie, Surry, Isle of Wright, Southampton, and Halifax.
Three companies were in the fight at Big Bethel, then the regiment was assigned to General Colston's, Pryor's, Kemper's, and W.R. Terry's Brigade. It fought with the Army of Northern Virginia from Williamsburg to Gettysburg except when it was detached to Suffolk with Longstreet. Later it was active in the conflicts at Plymouth, Drewry's Bluff, and Cold Harbor, the Petersburg siege south and north of the James River, and the Appomattox Courthouse Campaign.
This unit totaled 550 men in April, 1862, and reported 97 casualties during the Seven Days' Battles, 19 in the Maryland Campaign, and 11 at Fredericksburg. Of the 332 engaged at Gettysburg, more than thirty-five percent were disabled. Many were captured at Five Forks and Sayler's Creek, and only 1 officer and 60 men surrendered in April, 1865.
The field officers were Colonels Joseph Mayo, Jr. and Roger A. Pryor; and Lieutenant Colonels Alexander D. Callcote, William H. Pryor, and Joseph V. Scott.
In the spring of 1863, Armistead and his brigade took part in a foraging expedition to southeastern Virginia and as a result missed the Chancellorsville Campaign (1863).
On the third and final day of Gettysburg, Pickett's division, which up to then had been held in reserve, was chosen to spearhead Lee's major attack against the center of the Union line. Armistead's brigade supported the division's front. With his hat on the tip of his raised sword, he led his brigade on foot across the open ground and into the chaotic fight on Cemetery Ridge. The brigade reached the Union line, commanded in part by Hancock, but went no farther. Armistead had just placed his hand on a Union cannon when he was struck by a volley of rifle fire. While lying badly wounded, he asked to see Hancock, but Hancock's command responsibilities and his own wounds prevented it.
Instead, Armistead was carried to a nearby Union field hospital where he died on July 5 from a combination of blood loss and exhaustion
September 6, 1862 - Lewis A. Armistead is assigned to duty as provost marshal of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia. He serves in that role during the Maryland Campaign.
July 3, 1863 - Lewis A. Armistead leads his brigade in the attack known as Pickett's Charge at the Battle of Gettysburg. Armistead and his men reach the Union line, commanded by his old army friend Union general Winfield Scott Hancock, but the attack fails and Armistead is struck down by a volley of rifle fire and taken to a nearby Union field hospital.
July 5, 1863 - Two days after he is wounded during what became known as Pickett's Charge in the Battle of Gettysburg, Lewis A. Armistead dies in a Union field hospital.
2014 update on Dr. Jordan's home:
The present owners (Jeff and Sara Johnson) of the house where Dr. Jordan lived in Virginia graciously sent follow-up details and photos of the house and grounds. I've included their comments and the photos below:
The house is located just outside the town of Driver in old Nansemond County. The Jordan family operated a mill on the property pre-Civil War and the foundation for the mill still exist on our neighbors property. We have one of the mill stones in our front yard which has been used as a well cap for as long as anyone can remember. The Jordan property (known as Jordan's Mill Hill) was eventually sold off after his death (date of sale unclear) and parceled out over the years but the house has survived mostly in its original condition. Locals refer to the property as the old Whedbee farm.
Only two of the original outbuildings have survived the years, one which was an old wood smoke house we now use as a shed and an old crumbling brick pump house. We know that Dr. Jordan operated his practice out of the house (we think in a1907 addition) and that for a time the house was also used as the "county court house" after a fire at Hargrove's Tavern.
The current house did not exist on the property during the American Civil War, but relics of the conflict have been found in the yard .
It's interesting that the info from genealogical records and on your website states that Dr. Jordan is buried in Cedar Hill Cemetery in Suffolk.
Contact Dr. Arbittier or Dr. Echols
Last update: Wednesday, October 18, 2017