J. H. Gemrig
was a surgical instrument maker in Philadelphia, Pa. during 1840 to 1881 in
various forms (alone, with his brother, and with his son). During the
Civil War, Gemrig was a major supplier of surgical sets under contract to the
Union forces. His company was located at 48 N. 6th from 1841 to 1844, at
S. 8th in 1845, 43 S, 8th from 1846 to 1865, and 109 S. 8th from 1866 to 1880.
All dates are from
the Directory of Makers and Dealers as listed by Edmonson in American Surgical
Instruments: an Illustrated History:
Jacob H. Gemrig surgical instrument maker 1841-44: 48 N. 6th
1845: 49 S. 8th
1846-65: 43 S. 8th
1866-80: 109 S. 8th
set dates between 1860-7.
blade of the capital saw is indicative of a later design found during the
1860's. Note there is no trephine provided with this set and the
metacarpal saw is very small. Compare this set to an
Gemrig and note the variations.
wood tray fits over the saws in the lower part of the case. Note there
is still the presence of two lateral swivel latches in addition to the center
key lock. The centered key lock is typical of commercial sets.
Compare this set with a
slightly later version which has no
tray, but compresses the same number of instruments into a smaller case
without removable tray.
is marked 'Gemrig' as are all the other instruments. The only piece
missing is the small artery forceps. Otherwise the set is 100% correct