J. H. Gemrig was a
surgical instrument maker in Philadelphia, Pa. during 1840 to 1881 in various
forms (alone, with his brother, and with his son). During the Civil War,
Gemrig was a major supplier of surgical sets under contract to the Union forces.
His company was located at 48 N. 6th from 1841 to 1844, at S. 8th in 1845, 43 S,
8th from 1846 to 1865. All dates are from the
Directory of Makers and Dealers as listed by Edmonson in American Surgical
Instruments: an Illustrated History:
Jacob H. Gemrig surgical instrument maker 1841-44: 48 N. 6th
1845: 49 S. 8th
1846-65: 43 S. 8th
1866-80: 109 S. 8th
set, which dates to the 1850's
blade of the capital saw is indicative of a later design found during the
wood tray fits over the saws in the lower part of the case. A feature
is the presence of two lateral swivel latches in addition to the center key
lock. The key lock is typical of commercial sets of the period.
Only the small tourniquet is
missing. All parts original.
Single lift-out tray